(5) The Salvation Army.
(6) The National Travelers Aid Society.
According to its by-laws, the USO is responsible to the President of the United States and the
Secretary of Defense. The Assistant Secretary of Defense (Manpower, Personnel and Reserve) is the
official liaison between the Department of Defense and the USO. The Chief, Special Services Division,
TAG, is the administrative liaison for the Department of the Army with the USO.
Government funds are not allocated to the USO.
The USO receives its support through
voluntary contributions made to the United Funds.
With regard to organization, directors and assistants of local USO operations are usually
professional social service workers representing the constituent agencies of the USO. One agency is
normally designated as the operating agency for a particular club. The professional staff of a club
operation is assisted by volunteer workers. A USO committee consists of leading representatives of the
three major religious faiths, local civic and community groups, plus business and labor leaders. Often,
local military commanders, chaplains, and special services officers serve as advisors. The local military
commander may designate the senior supervisory chaplain to represent him at USO meetings.
The activities of the USO are planned to meet the particular needs of military personnel in the
area served by the club. The following activities and services are normally offered:
Off-post religious information service.
Group activities at the USO include discussion groups, films, choral groups, dramatics,
(6) Limited dormitory facilities, lockers and showers.
(7) Holy Day programs in conjunction with local religious groups.
(8) Services to military families and dependents.
(9) Community and travel information.
(10) Craft shop and hobby facilities.
(11) Reading and lounging rooms, to include snack bar.
(12) The USO is charged with the responsibility of procuring and coordinating entertainment
of all types, and has the capability of rapid expansion in the event of war or national