LESSON 3 : Wounded and Sick
OBJECTIVE: The student will achieve issue-identification familiarity with the
humanitarian rules of land warfare contained in the Geneva Convention for the
Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in the Armed Forces in the Field
(and at Sea). The student will apply the Geneva Conventions to combat scenarios.
SUGGESTIONS: Read and study the text assignment carefully. Then complete the
exercise below, using the text as a reference if necessary.
REOUIREMENTS: Answer the following multiple choice and true-false questions. A
statement false in part should be considered false.
1. Under GWS, a captured Army medical officer is not considered to be a prisoner of
2. Private Bangor of the Aggressor Army has been assigned as a rifleman to the 11th
Company of the 421st Aggressor Fusileer Regiment. Bangor is very unhappy about this
because he had been specially trained as a medical corpsman after his induction into the
Aggressor Army. He is even more unhappy when he is treated as a prisoner of war rather
than a medical specialist and is sent to a lumbering work camp after he is captured by the
L's. Bangor has complained to the Protecting Power that he is entitled to medical
personnel status and to be assigned to medical duties. Bangor's petition should be refused.
3. Aggressor holds hundreds of thousands of L soldiers as prisoners of war. Many are
sick, wounded and dying. There is an insufficient number of L medical personnel
retained by Aggressor to care for these prisoners. Under these circumstances Aggressor is
obliged to furnish, if possible, Aggressor medical personnel to care for them.
4. Aggressor intentionally bombed an L hospital. L has the right to bomb one Aggressor
hospital as a reprisal.
5. When receiving fire from a hospital, there is no duty to warn before returning fire in
6. Since no one is near the excess medical supplies, the supplies may be targeted and
bombed. These are military medical supplies, not civilian supplies. Under the law of war
this is proper.
7. It is considered a good strategic ruse to act wounded and then capture the enemy troops
trying to capture you.