Critical Task: 301-794-1309
Upon completion of this lesson you will be able to:
1. When provided with a diagram of a communication system, identify each of the types of
radio communication structures, and the types of radio net operations.
2. Determine the common operating control of a group, net or network.
TERMINAL LEARNING OBJECTIVE:
Identify each type of radio communication structures and radio net
Given the information provided in this subcourse.
To demonstrate competency of this task, you must achieve a minimum of 70
percent on the subcourse examination.
The material contained in this lesson was derived from the following
NSA Subcourse TA 103(u)
1. An important phase of traffic analysis is network reconstruction. To reconstruct the
communication network of an opposing military force through the study of intercepted radio
traffic, the analyst must have a thorough understanding of the elements of net concept.
2. A radio network is made up of radio stations for the purpose of intercommunication. In the
military, communication parallels organization. A targets communication procedures will
reflect the voice of its command.
3. In military organizations particularly, orders are originated by commanders and passed
along to subordinates. In many cases, these orders must pass through intermediate
commanders. Additionally, subordinates who receive orders must know from where the order
originate, how they are to be answered, and to whom they are applicable, as well as how to
direct any inquiries in order to get special instructions. The echelons of command established
through the study of