Stretch the band slightly.
(2) Wrap the band around the limb so that one end of the remaining band is
longer than the other end (figure 6-2, left figure).
(3) Loop the longer end and draw it under the shorter end. Be sure the tails
point away from the infusion site (figure 6-2, right figure).
The constricting band should not remain in place more than two minutes.
Figure 6-2. Applying a constricting band for venipuncture in right forearm.
d. Prepare the Site.
(1) Ask the casualty (if conscious) to clench and relax his fist several times,
then keep his fist clenched. If the casualty is unconscious, place the limb below the
level of heart.
(2) Palpate the vein with your fingertips again (after the clenching) to make
sure that the vein is still suitable (figure 6-3).
(3) Open a packet containing an alcohol or povidone-iodine pad and
cleanse the skin at the selected infusion site. Wipe the site using a circular motion,
beginning at the center of the site and spiraling outward (figure 6-4).