(4) Hold the flash chamber of the unit with the thumb and forefinger of your
dominant hand. Position the unit so that the bevel of the needle is up (figure 6-5).
Figure 6-5. Needle with bevel up.
Do not touch the exposed needle or catheter.
(5) Position the needle (bevel up) so that it is directly above the selected
vein or slightly to one side of the vein.
(6) Pull the skin over the venipuncture site taut by pressing approximately
one inch below the infusion site with the thumb of your non-dominant hand.
(7) Position the point of the needle (bevel up) about 1/2 inch below the site
selected for the venipuncture. The needle should be at approximately a 20 to 30
angle (figure 6-6).
Figure 6-6. Catheter/needle positioned above vein
(8) Insert the needle tip (bevel up) into the skin. Insert only the bevel of the
needle beneath the skin.
Lower the angle of the catheter/needle until it is almost parallel to the
(10) Direct the point of the needle toward the vein.