LEARNING EVENT 4
DESCRIBE THE ACTION
In this learning event, follow the same procedure you used in previous learning events. Your memory will simply not
provide sufficient information. Again, refer to the resource materials as you consider each of the questions.
a. Describe the disposition of forces at the beginning of the action.
(1) What were the locations of the opposing forces, and how were they tactically deployed?
(2) What were the recent, current, and proposed movements of the units?
(3) What was the combat power of the opposing units in terms of numbers and types of maneuver forces?
(4) What were the missions of the key units involved in the initial clash?
b. Describe the opening moves by each antagonist.
(1) How did the attacking forces move their units across the line of departure?
(2) How did the defending forces react to reinforce or to counter the attack?
(3) What supporting units did both sides need? Why?
(4) To what extent did opposing forces need, employ, and control supporting fires (air, smoke, special munitions,
(5) What were the critical areas or incidents concerning the initial contact, and what actions did the opposing
(6) How effective were the command and control procedures used by the forces?
(7) What tactics did the opposing forces use? Were these tactics consistent with published doctrine or adapted to
meet the battlefield environment?
(8) Was the leadership effective?
(9) How did the soldiers react?